Pages

Monday, March 26, 2012

I Have Sons Too

There have been so many events that have taken our breath way over time...far too many. And this latest concerning the death of young Trayvon Martin is beyond shocking to put it politely. 


When I saw the first picture of Trayvon, my first thought was how young he looked for his age and second how small his body frame was. A few hours ago, Trayvon's parents were being interviewed on TV...sorry don't remember with who...and his father described what the police told him...after showing him a picture of his dead son...concerning the events that lead to the death of his son.


He was told that after Zimmerman, the security guard who was told by the police not to follow the guy, met up with Trayvon and after a scuffle, Trayvon was "straddled over Zimmerman with his hand over Zimmerman's mouth". Then Zimmerman was able to draw his weapon and fire one shot..."Trayvon put his hands in the air and said 'you got me' ", and fell back...dead or dying. Shot by someone who shouldn't have been there.


What was it that made Zimmerman want to pursue after Trayvon when he as clearly told not to. Why didn't that same instinct or whatever drove Zimmerman to the point of contact....upon that contact, without even knowing his true age, say to himself...even without gut instinct...say to himself....this is just a kid. Even if Trayvon had said something undesirable to Zimmerman....Trayvon looks like a kid and should have been handled accordingly. But apparently, Zimmerman never caught that.


It is a travesty when we are profiled/judged because of what we wear or how we look. Now I'll be the first to tell you that I'm not big on the pants around the ankles and waddling like a duck when you walk, but I do know that what I see is not necessarily the person. I like to wear a hoodie but don't usually wear the hood unless I'm shielding myself from the cold. 


Why am I all of a sudden on a tandem about anything? I have had changes in the past couple of months and just these past few weeks have been even more changes....then this happens....it struck a nerve. It happened at a time when I can no longer be silent.  


There was a moment in time, when someone didn't listen, and a young Trayvon Martin was shot and died. 


I have sons too... 


  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Now if ya don't say something, I'll never know what you're thinking.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...