Pages

Friday, September 9, 2011

Remembering 9/11

The 10th Anniversary of September 11th is this coming Sunday. I want to dedicate this to the men and women who lost and sacrificed their lives on that fateful day. To the families who lost those dear to them, the friends who also suffered loss...never to hear that laugh or see that smile. To a country brought to disbelief and anger. 


On that day, September 11, 2001 I was working and the manager called me on the radio and said that a plane just flew into one of the Twin Towers at The World Trade Center. I remember asking him in disbelief what it was he had said and he repeated...a plane (American Airlines Flight 11) just flew into one of the Twin Towers in New York. I asked him was it a big plane or a little plane? He said that he didn't know...he would guess that it was a small commuter plane. I thought to myself, yeah who would fly a jetliner into a building on purpose. 

I go back to work and he calls me back and said a second plane (United Airlines Flight 175) flew into the other Tower.

I was in total shock because now I know this is not an accident. So I turned on the radio and they are broadcasting the unfolding events. I remember them saying they don't know if more planes were involved. By the time the third plane had struck the Pentagon, I was driving and I said out loud...what in the world is going on? 

The radio reports didn't give me vision and I so badly wanted to see what I was hearing so much about. I don't remember what time I finally got home but the first thing I did was turn on the TV. I switched channels until settling on CNN. 

The reason I chose this picture is because of this:

While watching the broadcast, the camera was zoomed in on the Twin Towers and I was glued to the screen. The broadcasters had stated before showing the clip that it would be graphic....out of nowhere, as if flying over my head into view was the second plane to strike. It was as if I was sitting in the plane myself when the plane struck its target. I was absolutely horrified by what I just saw. It was at that moment it all seemed to hit home for me. It was an incredible sight...not as in awesome, but as in the devastation that was taking place on our homeland...here in America.

         
Image Courtesy of Photobucket

Image Courtesy of Photobucket

My heart was heavy for the victims and bitterly angry toward those responsible.

Image Courtesy of Google Images
I thought the sight of the second Tower being hit was enough to make me sick, but when the Towers came down.... 

Image Courtesy of Photobucket

The Pentagon where American Airlines Flight 77 crashed.

Image Courtesy of Photobucket
And those of United Airlines Flight 93 and their heroic deed
which brought them to Shanksville, PA.

September 11, 2001

A day never to forget. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Now if ya don't say something, I'll never know what you're thinking.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...